Registering for the Law Enforcement Ride and Run to Remember is just the first step to making a difference and honoring our nation’s law enforcement officers. The next step is to collect donations.
The golden rule of fundraising is: You raise money when you ask for it. You don’t when you don’t.
Ask big. If you ask someone for $50, you might get $50, or you could get less. But if you ask someone for $5, you might get $5, but you probably won’t get any more than that. You don’t lose anything if someone says “no” to your request, or gives less than you ask for. But you are losing out on a potential donation if you don’t ask in the first place, or don’t ask for very much.
Write out a list of everyone you know. Relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, classmates. Your doctor, dry cleaner, babysitter, auto mechanic, boss. The guy behind the counter at your local coffee shop, the woman ringing up your groceries, the librarian checking out your books. Each contact you have during the course of the day is a potential conversation you can have about your connection and theirs to law enforcement.
These are your potential donors. Don’t assume that someone wouldn’t be interested in donating. Sometimes the people you expect it from the least will surprise you and donate the most.
Set your fundraising goals high, and take advantage all of the resources we have to offer.
- Participant Center How-To Guide: Learn how to use your Participant Center to edit your personal page, send emails, and more!
- Social Media Guide: Sample Facebook posts and tweets that you can use to fundraise over social media.
- Donation Tracker : Keep track of your offline donations as your supporters send them in.
- Fundraising Checklist: Make sure you're not missing any steps toward fundraising success.
- Offline Donation Form: Attach this form to offline donations when they're mailed in.
- Ride Fundraising Flyer: A printable Ride-focused flyer asking for support.
- Run Fundraising Flyer: A printable Run-focused flyer asking for support.
- Jar/Canister Wrapper: A printable wrapper to leave out and collect change.
- Thank You Certificate: Don't forget to thank your donors!
- Why Donate?: Send this link to donors who ask why you're fundraising.
- Fundraising Video: A video you can share to summarize the important work of the Memorial Fund.